The township has offered rest and respite to travellers from all corners of the world from the early gold mining pioneers, to today's
international and domestic travellers.
Follow this link for more information http://www.slowtrav.com/newzealand/glacier_country.htm
Franz Josef continues in its fine tradition to offer quality rest and respite to travellers from all corners of the world from the early gold mining pioneers to today's international and domestic travellers.
The location of Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers is fondly referred to as the "travellers rest" when travelling north or south along the westcoast of the south island the glaciers lend themselves to being the halfway break on the journey.
The Glacier region is steeped in history being remnant of the Ice Age and unique in the fact they are growing larger rather than shrinking as with many of the worlds other Glaciers. The historical legacy of the early pioneers that is still evident within and surrounding the Township visitors can view and investigate the remains of gold miners huts and tracks. The main focus on the township is providing the gateway to viewing the Franz Josef Glacier
Travel agents hone in on the iconic value of the Glaciers and put together itinerant programmes that allow for the excellent guided tours of the glacier. However there is much more to our area than the glaciers, It is the most incredible mountain to sea experience with accessible walks that take in priceless alpine native forest views and expansive coastal views all with ecological and geological wonderment.
There are many unique artistic and cultural experiences to enjoy from whitebait fritters, stone weaving, stone carving, guided nocturnal kiwi tours, wood carving, bush crafts, mirrored lake tours, hunting and fishing to the adrenaline rush of mountain climbing, parachuting, handgliding, mountain biking and finding gold while panning in the many rivers creeks and streams (yes they left some).
It is fascinating to experience the naturally formed glow worm colonies that develop readily in the damp rainforest environs and are visible at night along the free unguided or paid guided walking tracks surrounding the Township.
The town centre boasts a selection of shops, tour agencies, service station\postshop, bars and restaurants.
- stocks and supplies a wide range of foods, fine wines, beers and daily baked breads for those keen on self catering.
- offers a variety of stationary items, office products, games, books and magazine's.
The Service Station
- has a full range of fuel station services, workshop repairs, vehicle recovery and is the towns postal agency.
- the medical centre offers a range of general practice care from 09.00 am till 2.00pm and provides 24hr emergency care in conjunction with St Johns Ambulance services.
- there are no Banks in Franz Josef we do have an automatic teller machine located at the Bookshop all shops and agencies have eftpos and credit card facilities.
- our restaurants and bars offer a wide range of gastronomic pleasures to suit all tastes and budgets, special dietary meals can be arranged along with packed lunches for day trips.
Further information can be obtained at www.glaciercountry.co.nz